Before the foundation of Saint Patrick’s School
, the Glacis School was the most important school for English-speaking Catholics in Quebec City.
Educational institutions for English-speaking Catholics, as well as bilingual schools, existed before the Glacis School. During the 1820s, the new Société d’Éducation du District de Québec offered classes in English. However, it wasn’t until the construction of the Glacis School in 1830 that the Société had facilities capable of welcoming a large number of students. The new building could house 800 students. In 1831, the school had 230 pupils in its French classes and 172 pupils in its English classes. Although officially open to all, most students were Catholics and nearly two-thirds of the students in its English classes were Francophone.
The proportion of English speakers grew slowly after 1843, when the Brothers of the Christian Schools came to take over the Glacis School. By the 1850s, most classes were in English. In 1863, the last French-language classes were transferred elsewhere. This may explain why it eventually became known to some as Saint Patrick’s School
, as is evident in a map from 1879. In 1884, the school transferred its classes to the new Saint Patrick’s School building on McMahon, which also welcomed classes from the Foulons School